Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Paddy Madden Interview

Here is an exclusive interview with Ex-Bohs Hitman Paddy Madden


You recently won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, what was it like to win such a trophy and play at Wembley so soon into your English career?

Yeah it’s nice to have some silverware already to add to collection ha. I didn’t think 2 months into my move to Carlisle that I would get to play and win a trophy in Wembley, so it was a great feeling and something I would love to do again

What was the main factor in your move to Carlisle? How did they convince you to join the club?

There was a few teams interested but Carlisle stood out the most because they were offering me first team football, a platform for me to get a good name for myself in England, and that’s what I plan on doing, so its up to myself now.....

No goals yet but do you think they will come soon enough and then maybe you'll get a run going?

Yeah they will come, I haven’t made my first start yet, I have just been coming off the bench. The gaffer said he is gelling me into the team for next season so I’m happy with that, it’s the same thing that Pat did with me at Bohemians, and that went well so hopefully it works again 

Now let’s rewind back to your time at Bohemians, looking back what did you think of your time at Dalymount Park?

I loved my time at Bohemians, I have to thank them and Pat for giving me my chance to make a name for myself in Ireland. And also Shelbourne and Dermot Kealy they helped my progress in Airtricity League as well. Hopefully the league gets back the way it was a few years ago, there is great talent in the league and it is great league to play in


You mention Shelbourne do you think that without that valuable experience you still would have been as successful as you are now?

I haven’t really done anything yet, [Compared] to what I hope to do, but yes Shelbourne helped me and gave me my chance when I went out on loan from Bohemians. So who knows where I would be now if Shelbourne and Bohemians hadn’t of gave me my chance............

Before that you had played with WFTA what do you think of them?

WFTA is the best schoolboy club in Ireland but doesn’t get the credit it deserves, the facilities are excellent up there for the teams, and it is just a great team to play for I loved it there. I do a bit of coaching with WFTA when I’m home and it’s great to be still involved with them, and there the main reason I’m playing in England. That’s what I think of WFTA.

Actually prior to your move to Bohs your WFTA side had won the U-16 Barry Cup, what was it like to beat Bohs in that?

That was great side we had at WFTA, and to win treble under 16s was great. I’m not going to lie it was great to beat Bohs at that time, they were 1 of or main rivals and knocked us out the year before so was great to beat them in the all Ireland final

Okay and we're almost out of time so our final question who is the best player you have played with so far?

I’ve played with so many great players, but best all round player and leader on pitch would be Owen Heary 





We would like to thank Paddy for his time and wish him luck at Carlisle in the near future

No comments:

Post a Comment